The Cowsills | Cinefamily | 08.25.11
Mr. Ian Broyles screened his documentary on The Cowsills tonight at Cinefamily. Not familiar? I don’t blame you, I didn’t know who they were either until I heard them play the song from this movie.
Broyles helps unfold the story of how a group on top of the world, the very group that The Partridge Family is based on, falls apart.
- The father had a vision of a cross between The Bee Gees & The Von Trapp Family and added their mother to the band.
- No one wanted their mother in the band.
- The mother didn’t even want to be in the band.
- Their father was frighteningly abusive.
- They estimated they made about 20 million during their run of fame, but did not see a penny of it, in fact, ended up in debt that took 10 years to pay off.
The documentary is equally fascinating as it was sad and I can’t recommend it enough. See it if it ends up in your town.